Traction electric drives for large dump trucks
Traction electric drives, based on AC electric motors with permanent magnets, are designed for use in large dump trucks.
A traction electric drive consists of a traction motor with permanent magnets, a power system, a control system and an electro braking system.
High-torque motors with permanent magnets can be used in the “motor-wheel” scheme of transmission or to reduce the gear ratio.
Electric drive provides:
- Smooth start, reverse, and rheostat braking mode with controlled braking torque
- Speed or torque control during traction mode
- The electric drive parameters and operating modes monitoring
- The protection mode of operation and the electric drive abnormal parameters monitoring in case of failure and (or) emergency
Main technical characteristics:
- Rotation speed - according to Client order
- Drive starting performance – triple rated torque at a speed trough 10% of the maximum value
- Reverse in all speed range
- Range of the speed control: 0-100%
- High start-up torque, that allows to exclude the gear box or decrease its ratio
- Possibility to provide for the maximum torque at any speed
- Reduction of the diesel-generator load in start-up mode
- High total efficiency of the transmission
- Reduction of the operating costs for repairing and maintenance of the electric equipment
- Increased endurance characteristic of the truck’s transmission
- High mass-dimensional parameters
The dump truck “BelAZ” with a load-carrying capacity of 136 t
supplied with an electric drive based on traction electric motors with permanent magnets.
The traction electric motor with permanent magnets,
with rated power of 515 kW
and a maximum speed of 1650 rpm
(taking into account the starting torque of 30 kNm
installed power of the motor is 4900 kW)